Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Early Morning Workouts

You gotta love it! I remember that being the battle cry when I was a student manager, way back in the 70's when I was a student manager at the University of Houston.

That battle cry still holds true today! When that alarm went off at 3:30 this morning so I could be at work by 4:30 this morning, the fact that I love it is what keeps me going after 31 years of doing this job.

What is "it"? "It" is what we do here in the equipment room, taking care of student-athletes and coaches. When you break it all down, we are servants. We are here to provide a service so that student-athletes can be the best they can be, and so that coaches can do their best at coaching without having to worry about the little things.

I had a great opportunity last night to talk to a group of students that are members of the Sports Marketing Association (SMA). They asked me to talk to the group about what is involved in working in Intercollegiate Athletics, or sports in general. I think the purpose was to shed some light to those gathered about what it takes or what is involved with working in this field, whether you are the equipment manager, administrator, or in marketing. Well, I got a lot out of the meeting myself. In sharing with the group my strong feelings about what it takes to be successful in this world of athletics, it made me realize just how fortunate I am to have a small role in this athletic department.

It also made me realize just how much I do love what I do! As I told the group last night, what ever it is you decide to do in life, make sure you will be happy doing it!

After 31 seasons of college football as an equipment manager, I can't remember being so happy with what I do!!!! I also realize that I would not be in the situation I am in right now if it were not for the people I have been able to work with over the years. I have so many people to thank!

This morning, all of us here in McKale say good bye to not only the greatest Athletic Directors of all time, Jim Livengood, but for me, he is someone that I owe so much to. He gave me an opportunity over 20 years ago to work along side of him, and each day with him have the BEST years of my life. Thank you Jim for everything!!!!!

Just remember, You gotta love it!

No comments: